Mar 29, 2008

This was mine trip

I never posted about the towns I saw on my way back on the south side of the Mojave during my birthday trip.

My favorite stretch of route 66 goes from Kingman AZ to Needles. It's windy, narrow, full of mines on the side of the road and treacherous if the sun is going down. I ate in Oatman at a biker and cowgirl restaurant, then took the waitress's advice and camped south of town on the side of the road. I was awakened by a baby donkey rooting through my damp campfire. So cute.

The next morning, on my way down the mountain, I found a little 'town' that I can only identify as Vivian on one map. There were about 4 or 5 foundations and a few buildings sinking into the earth.


Vivian was also apparently for sale at one time...or still is. Anyone?

The trip home also brought me through Danby, an eerie abandoned train station (complete with abandoned train) obviously in habited in multiple stages.


Anboy was a honeymooning spot in the 50s. You could walk right into the unlocked motel suites.

Ludlow was where I dropped my sunglasses into a stopped up toilet. It was very different from Varney's 30 year old account I was going from.

No comments: