May 11, 2007

Eagle Mountain and some potato chips

In March, while Madeline was studying away in our hotel (90% fake rock) in Desert Hot Springs (The foam version of Palm Springs), I drove to Eagle Mountain, a ghost town abandoned in the 1980s, just outside of Desert Center...a town of impending doom.

Eagle mountain was once an Iron mining town. Its all fenced off and has a brand new elementary school (also fenced off and seemingly unused). The lawns here were eerily trim, but homes empty.




Leaving Eagle Mountain, you have to pass through Desert Center. Here I found an abandoned hamburger shack that the previous owners never even bothered to pack up when they left. They were sun faded potato chips on the counter and red and white checkered french fry trays.




Here's more on Eagle Mountain written by someone who gets even more high as the article goes on.

2 comments:

Alicia said...

That is waaayyy creepy...mowed lawns and empty houses! I guess when I thought of ghost town - I thought of like older towns with saloons and stuff!

Andy said...

Yeah, Eagle Mountain is one of the 'newest' ghosttowns I've been too. Madeline and I found one called Cisco in Utah that was also new. It was beyond creepy. I think we drove away screeming.