May 9, 2007

Near death by rattle snake at Black Diamond Mine

I went hiking alone at Black Diamond Mines Regional Preserve. After having visions of a mountain lion jumping on my back from a tree I turned back, only to almost step on a large rattle snake. The snake pretended I wasn't there and allowed me to take pictures of s/he.

Black Diamond Mines is awesome. There are 5 or 6 former town sites and 12 mines. Some of the mines can be explored. For my first trip I forgot to bring a flash light so I'll be going back this summer. Like most ghost towns, Black Diamond Mines has a cemetary full of children. But unlike most mining towns you can pay three dollars for an extensive tour of the undergroud labrynth.









2 comments:

Madeline said...

Oh jeez, you big baby. It only had like 7 rattles. Stop whining.

Andy said...

um. you should have seen it. 20 feet long is nothing to shake a stick at.